How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11236
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog keeps scratching, licking nibbling by his tail

Customer Question

my dog keeps scratching, licking nibbling by his tail
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. You are most likely still dealing with a flea problem. Skin problems at the base of the tail is a very tale tell sign that there is a flea problem. Not much else causes problems there. Treating for fleas is not as simple as putting on a flea preventative. They are for preventing flea infestations, and do not do a good job of treating for them. So, the fleas will not go away immediately. The adult fleas are only 5% of the flea population, so the other 95% are in the immature forms in the environment (house and yard). You have to treat the yard and home for fleas first. You also has to make sure that you get him on a GOOD topical or oral (better option) flea preventative. In general, the cheaper it is, the less effective it is. Get a good one from your vet. If you treat the environment and keep him on the flea preventative, it will most likely take 2-3 months to get fleas under control. An environmental or food allergy are possible, but they usually don't cause problems by the tail. That tends to be flea territory. If he has chewed enough, he could have a skin infection that needs to be treated. Your vet can get you on some medication to help with the itching and treat for any infection that may be present. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alejandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Romeo. How is everything going?

Dr. John