Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a 9 year old lab/spitz mix. Yesterday. We noticed

Customer Question
Hi my dog is a...
Hi my dog is a 9 year old lab/spitz mix. Yesterday. We noticed a hard bump on the top of her right paw. There does not appear to be any fluid inside, although she does seem to favor this paw. Other than this there are no symptoms and our dog seems to be acting fine. Is this something we should bring her to the vet for? It seemed to just appear yesterday out of no where. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Heidi today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
......
I would definitely recommend that you have Heidi evaluated by your vet.In my opinion, ANY lump should be checked out. The fact that it came up so quickly is more suspicious of an inflammatory or infectious process versus a cancerous one, but some tumors can appear very quickly. The toes or the webbing between the toes are common sites for inflammatory cysts that seem to pop up overnight. These can be a challenge to treat, and can be very painful.
......
After an exam, your vet should be able to decide the next best course of action. If there is any suspicion of cancer at all, a test called a fine needle aspirate (FNA) which can be performed by collecting a sample of cells from the mass with a needle and then examining under the microscope. This can usually be done right in the clinic. It is not always definitive enough to let you know the exact cause of the lump, but it may help to make the decision of if anything else needs to be done, like surgical removal. Some growths are easily identified as benign and that is all that needs to be done. If it appears to be infected, antibiotics may be prescribed. In the meantime, there would be no harm in offering warm water/epsom salt foot soaks to the affected foot. It may provide some relief and decrease any inflammation.
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is everything going?

Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian