petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

There, we have a 12wk old yorki poo that is exhibiting the

Customer Question

Hi there, we have a 12wk old yorki poo that is exhibiting the chuffing that is described above. We took him to his first vet appt yesterday and he had two shots. He was coughing prior in the morning, because it wasn't severe the vet suggested we wait to see if it went away on it's own prior to getting the shot for kennel cough. Little guy was in a lot of pain yesterday and last night he started chuffing and gagging. It didn't seem to bother him, he ate and drank well both last night and this morning. He's still rather lethargic today and continues to chuff though not as violently as last night. Should we bring him back to be seen again? He weighs 3.25lbs, hard to gauge Benedryl dosage for a guy that small...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
........
The fact that you had him examined yesterday, make me feel a lot better knowing that he had a physical exam and your vet did not feel he was too sick to vaccinate. If he is exhibiting signs of kennel cough, the vaccine will not help him now. It is more used as prevention for kennel cough. Kennel cough is a form of tracheobronchitis that is self-limiting and usually resolves on it's own, but you are correct that they can be pretty uncomfortable. Treatment is usually supportive and involves cough suppressants plus/minus antibiotics.
........
I would at least give your vet a call today and let him know how uncomfortable he was last night. They will best be able to decide if he needs to be seen or they may be able to have you pick something up to help control the cough until his immune system resolves it. Benedryl is not harmful, but will do nothing for his symptoms, except possibly make him sleepy. I would wait to see what your vet offers first.
....
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much! This is very helpful.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can answer for you today?
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Z