Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I own a shitsu/lasa aspo cross 12 year old dog with on-going

Customer Question
eye problem. Blood shot...
I own a shitsu/lasa aspo cross 12 year old dog with on-going eye problem. Blood shot, tearing, seems bigger(bulging) than the other eye. I have been using ketoralac and tobramycin since May 20. 4 times a day at first, then 2x, then once a day. If i stop he gets bad again. It is only the one eye and he seems in good health otherwise but he does seem to be uncomfortable when his eye is inflamed. Are these eye drops to be used forever, or is there something else that I could do to keep this eye from tearing and becoming red?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian with a special interest in ophthalmology I am happy to assist you! Has Pete been seen by a vet for this problem? I ask because this sounds highly suspicious of glaucoma, and if that is the case his current medical regime is inappropriate. Glaucoma occurs when the pressure builds inside the eye, causing pain and damage to the tissues of the eye. It causes an eye that tends to appear bulging as you note, becomes red, tears, and is painful. If left untreated it causes irreversible blindness in the affected eye. Dogs show more severe signs than you may be used to in people, as they tend to get a different kind of glaucoma ("closed angle" glaucoma) that causes very high and acute spikes in pressure- these pressure spikes tend to come and go, so the eye will appear ok and then red, and then ok, etc. ***Please note: if he does have glaucoma, he needs to be on anti-glaucoma medication (by prescription from his vet only) or receive surgical treatment. Also, when a dogs comes down with glaucoma in 1 eye, the other eye typically develops glaucoma within 6-12 months. It is therefore important that the other eye be started on preventative anti-glaucoma medication, which will slow the onset of glaucoma in that eye and help minimize pressure spikes. Lastly, if left untreated glaucoma causes permanent blindness in the affected eye so prompt treatment is important*** Please let me know if Pete has seen a vet- and if so, what the official diagnosis was. I can then better direct you. If he has not seen a vet however, I highly recommend that he does, such that he receive a definitive diagnosis and be started on the appropriate treatment. **This is especially important given that his signs are highly suspicious of glaucoma and glaucoma is both blinding and painful** Thank you for your question- please feel free to respond with additional information or questions. When you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. All the best to you and Pete, Dr. Drea
Hello!
Just checking in- how is Pete doing?
Best, *****
*Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!*
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian