Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My min pin has one ear layed Down and it tilting and shaking

Customer Question
his head. He is playing...
My min pin has one ear layed Down and it tilting and shaking his head. He is playing like normal though.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He is also scratching at his ears
7/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Based on all the signs you have reported, we would be most concerned that Bones has an ear infection or has potentially gotten something (ie grass seed, plant awn, etc) stuck in his ear. Often the discomfort of an itchy ear (be it from something caught, yeast, bacteria, or ear mites) can lead to them tilting their heads, lowering their ears, shaking their heads, and scratching.
In this case, it would be prudent to have his vet examine his ear for you. They can check the whole canal and remove anything that may have gotten into the ear. Furthermore, they can check that his ear drum is intact and that infection is not in the middle ear as well. As long as that is intact, they can then dispense ear drops to clear this for him (or if the ear drum is perforated, oral medications can be dispensed to safely treat the ear).
In the meantime, to give him some relief, you can gently flush his ears with saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) or make salt water at home (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water --make sure its well mixed). This is safe to use at this stage as it won't harm the middle ear if the ear drum is compromised but will help flush some of the infection +/- foreign bodies from the canal and the warmth will be soothing. Finally, I would note that if he is scratching, we may need to place an e-collar to prevent him damaging the skin or introducing more infection into his ear with dirty feet.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bones. How is everything going?
Customer
He's acting more normal but not quite like usual
Thank you for the update,
I am glad to hear that he is well and on the mend.
Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian