How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16528
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog chewed an after bite pen that contains ammonia. What

Customer Question

My dog chewed an after bite pen that contains ammonia. What should I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.These products contain 3% ammonia as an active ingredient, and Alcohol Ethoxylate, Dimethicone, Natural Oil and Purified Water as inactive ingredients. The inactive ingredients allow the liquid to distribute evenly, have a cooling effect as they evaporate and dilute the ammonia. The main concern is the ammonia because it can cause burns to the lips, gums, esophagus and stomach as well and vomiting and diarrhea.The effects on your pup will depend upon how much ammonia he ingested.I hope that you flushed his mouth with cool water to remove as much of the product as possible.At home to decrease stomach and esophageal irritation you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel better. They should be given for a couple weeks to allow healing.I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable.If he is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, shredded white chicken or boiled, lean ground beef, and 2/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.If he refuses to not eat he should see his veterinarian for coating agents to help healing, intravenous fluids and supportive care.He should start to eat and feel better as the burning sensation resolves. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara