Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My new white lab 8 weeks old is showing odd signs:lethargy,

Customer Question
My new white lab 8...
My new white lab 8 weeks old is showing odd signs:
lethargy, heavy/labored breathing, grunting when on back, slow movement, almost seizure like episodes when sleeping. (I know puppies dream, I have 2 older mini-aussies so not a new "mom". I understand sleeping all the time is normal when baby, but doesn't seem normal that it won't play longer than 3 seconds.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Those are alarming symptoms in an 8 week old and should prompt careful auscultation of Bob's chest and X-rays of his heart and lungs. His breathing and exercise intolerance alone should prompt such imaging.
The diagnosis of "allergies" and administering a "steroid shot" to an 8 week old is not the standard of care and so I encourage your having a more experienced vet take a look at Bob. The "seizure-like" episodes are unclear to me. I'd like to see a video of them if you could upload a video to an external site such as YouTube and give me the link to it. Be sure not to park the video as "private".