Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just went to vet yesterday check up, they did a

Customer Question
Just went to vet yesterday...
Just went to vet yesterday for routine check up, they did a blood test to cheat for heart worm and Lyme. Vet who is not usually who we have came back quickly and said my standard poodle has Lyme... is it usually that quick?
My dog has been throwing up, but acting normal otherwise... Vet put her on antibiotic and pepcid with a bland diet, but she threw up the boiled chicken and rice. I gave her a full cup of chicken and rice should I go smaller? Any advise will be great.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today. Yes, the in house heartworm and tick disease test is complete in about 10 minutes. The vomiting would be unrelated to lyme disease. Was she vomiting before starting the antibiotic?

Yes she was vomiting before we found out about Lyme, we had to change foods cause the kind she was on is longer carried in stores around here.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
OK, I wanted to make sure that the vomiting was not related to the antibiotic. The vomiting is not caused by her Lyme positive status. Diet changes can certainly cause intestinal upset. If the Pepcid and chicken/rice are not helping, I would try a commercial bland diet called Hills I/D. This is available by prescription only, but can be very helpful for these dogs. Long term, we need to find a food that agrees with her digestion. It would be best to search for a similar formulation (the same as she was previously on, for example lamb and rice or bison and sweet potato). If you let me know what brand and formula she was previously eating, I can help find something close.

She was on Chef Michaels Chicken dry food... My other question... I was told she has protein in her urine so they will recheck in a week? Is this normal with just being diagnosed with Lyme? She did have little sacs on the back of her hind legs, but they come and go.. Today they are not there at all and she is keeping all food down for the past two days now. I have also been watching her bowel movements and there seems to be some mucus in it..?? Is this also normal for just being diagnosed?

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
No, protein in the urine is never normal. It can be secondary to lyme disease (a condition called lyme nephritis), so it is important to follow up and see if it is repeatable. No, mucus in her stools is not related to lyme either. This is again probably related to the vomiting and general GI upset caused by the diet change.