Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hope you are doing well I have a saint bernard puppy

Customer Question
Hey there hope you are...
Hey there hope you are doing well
I have a saint bernard puppy which is of 4 months by now and from the start he is getting issues one after another
currently from 2months or more he is having severe skin problems
he lost his hair almost from all of its body
he itches alot and bites his own skin and rubs himself so bad against the floor and over cloth plus recently i have seen a hole in his ear which was bleeding and stopped bleeding for now but still there is a hole i have been taken him to the vet but nothing is happening which can get him fixed
i have seen another hole on this rightvleg now. Can you please help me out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
We are getting diseases from him as well which is causing us issues to get him trained
he bleeds all the time because he itches alot and bleeds himself
plus there is such strong and weird smell comes out from him which is nearly unbearable
I can attach you the images if required.
I just need to get him all fine before my family forces me to give him away.
7/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to help you out today.Sounds like Buddy is extremely itchy and uncomfortable. The most common cause of such itchiness in pups is fleas, but they can also get sarcoptic mange. Both of these ectoparasites could infect humans also, but sarcoptic mange is most likely. . .fleas usually prefer animals, not us. Have you seen any fleas on or around Buddy?
Also, I would love to see any photos you have.
There were alot of fleas on him when he was around 2months of age
With the help of frontline plus he got all fine and was doing pretty well for couple of weeks
But after that he use to scratch the front right leg of his and soon he got a mark there
slowly he got that on all four legs and body
he was in medication since then and got fine but after a week he got sick and lost all of his hair
and became itchy again and a weird smell comes out from his body regardless the bath we gave him on regular basis
and now i have seen these holes on his back right leg and right hair
Attaching you its images
I mean right ear* in the end
Attached you all of them
Let me know if you need to see more of buddy
Plus there is this same hole in his right ear as of right leg attached below
11650578_111218219879630...jpg1165057...jpg11651223_111218218879631...jpg1165122...jpg11653376_111218216546297...jpg1165337...jpg11653410_111218220879630...jpg1165341...jpg11653433_111218223546297...jpg1165343...jpg11713418_111218219546297...jpg1171341...jpg11714494_111218222879630...jpg1171449...jpg
Poor little guy!!!! The weird smell is likely rancid oil from his oil glands. The catch 22 is that the more you bathe him, the more damaged his skin becomes and the oil glands are going crazy trying to repair his skin. Also, the more you bathe him, the less effective the Frontline is for flea control. If Buddy were my patient I would get a thorough diagnosis right away. I'd do a blood profile including a thyroid test. Rarely but can happen, young puppies are hypothyroid and this reeks havoc with their immune system and their skin. I would do multiple skin scrapings looking for mites, the most common is demodectic mange (not contagious to you) and sarcoptic mange (very itchy and contagious to you).What have your symptoms been?
Well whenever i spend some time with him
and comes inside my all face and legs get way too itchy and i have this certain marks on my body especially on my legs that i feel like scratching them all the time which results in bleeding
He mostly rubs his head around my leg so maybe that is why its happening
Plus almost everyone is getting itchy in our home couple of my family members had severe of such issue and couldnt get to sleep even due to this but we got it controlled by the help of medicines
On the other note the frontline we used on him was like 25 days back
we havent used that since then plus there is this lotion and medicine my vet asked me to give him which is not helping at all
The vet said no for frontline so we are not using frontline over its skin anymore.
So Buddy has been diagnosed in the past with yeast dermatitis, but that is not the only thing going on for him. Yeast dermatitis is usually a secondary condition, and how he looks I really do highly suspect that his primary problem is hypothyroidism.You and your family could all be bothered by fleas, but Buddy could also be dealing with sarcoptic mange which is a mite that can also infect humans.Since you have already been to 3 vets, I think you need to either choose a vet that is committed to Buddy's healing, and I think you need to trust that vet enough to do the follow up care that is recommended. Buddy is severely affected, and this will take you and your vet there working together for quite awhile to resolve this.I think you and Buddy would best be served by a veterinary dermatologist. If you have one of these close to you, then I would choose to go there. If you'd like, tell me your zip code and I'll see if I can help find you one in your area.
Well actually i doesnt live in USA
the country where i live there are many vets around my city like 16
and those 3 are the most recommended to which i took buddy to and kept a follow up properly but nothing is happening
Cant you recommend some procedures and medicines that can fix him because to whomever vet i have showed its images to they goes like we cant fix it and recommend the med every other guy does which doesnt put any positive effect on buddy
It's impossible to recommend a treatment when we don't know what Buddy's problem is. So, I'll tell you the steps I would take: I'd draw a blood profile on him including, most importantly, a thyroid panel. On this first visit, I would also do multiple skin scrapings to look for mites and yeast. I would also do a ringworm culture. Based upon the skin scrapings, I would initiate treatment. If I didn't find any sarcopte mites, I would still initiate treatment for sarcopic mange. . .this mite is difficult to find. Based also upon the skin scrapings and also just how Buddy looks right now, I'd start a 4 week course of Cephalexin (an antibiotic that is generally affective against bacterial dermatitis). If I found any yeast in Buddy's skin scrapings I would also initiate oral ketaconazole. I would also start Buddy on a flea preventative . . .he could begin Frontline again, but if the results of my tests indicated bathing once or twice weekly, I might choose the oral product called Comfortis. I'd next schedule a recheck in 1 week to see how Buddy is doing and to begin thyroid medication if the test indicated this. I imagine based upon how Buddy looks, I would see him weekly for a few weeks, and adjust his meds based upon how he is doing. If it turns out that Buddy is hypothyroid, I'd want to remeasure his blood thyroid level after 4-6 weeks of treatment with the thyroid medication. Thyroid medication will probably be for his lifetime. . .if he needs this at all. Fortunately this levothyroxine is not expensive.I hope all this is helpful. Sounds like where you live there could be a veterinary dermatologist there too. I'd be happy to help you look for one, plus now I'm curious as to your location!!!????
I live in Karachi,Pakistan situated in Asia
We have vets here but not certainly qualified
There is no such laboratory where they can do test by taking a sample and all except one. Iet me attach its 40 days back test report
Plus vets here does nothing except rubs his tummy and assumes that "xyz" could be the case and gives the meds which is literally doing nothing.
The thyroid test would need to be sent out to a lab. . .a blood test. The skin scrapings can all be looked at under a microscope in the clinic.I'd like to look online to see what veterinary services I can find in Karachi, Pakistan. Hope that is OK!
Yes please.
Currently i tried Pirzada clinic in karachi and Animal care clinic of Dr.Isma Gheewala (Most effective one but not that effective) and another one under the supervision of Dr Farah (not at all effective)
I left a Facebook message for the Animal Care Center. There was a vet there that you liked pretty well. He/she did a skin scraping, swab and fungal culture. They also did a skin culture (possibly the aforementioned swab). The fungal culture was positive, and the skin culture was positive for e coli (which is from feces!!!!!!), and was sensitive to several different antibiotics. There is no report about the skin scrapings, so I have no idea about mites. . .but looking at Buddy I bet that he has these too.
So now what do i need to do next?
Also, online I see that there is a Skinvet Clinic in Karachi with veterinary dermatologists. I can't find more about this, but I think you could. A veterinary dermatologist. . .a specialist. . .is what Buddy needs. If you can't go there,or can't find it, I would go to the best of the vets at Animal Care Center and take them the procedure I talked about above. . .the steps I would take if Buddy was my patient. I'd be happy to talk with your vet there, if that would help. Even after a rating, this thread stays open for quite awhile, so we could communicate here. I'll also put you in for an additional service offer. This does cost a little more, so it is up to you. I'll put you in for an email contact. If possible, we might be able to do Facetime. It's up to you, as we could just continue here after a rating. Just let me know!
Did animal care clinic staff replied? Plus i even couldnt find any information regarding skinvet clinic here
and Dr Isma Gheewala was the vet most effective for buddy which has currently no facebook page
I would love to avail the additional offer but i need a line and a way out which i cant of it yet .
This site is having a little problem today. What I just sent to you has disappeared. . .poooooof!I need to check Facebook this AM, and I will. Right now, I recommend you call Dr. Gheewala to get things started for Buddy. You have the list of what needs to be done. This process is going to require lots of patience on your part. . .many starts and stops, and many rechecks, but right now this all looks possible for Buddy to soon become a bright and healthy pup! I'll check Facebook in a little bit.
Yeah i'll apply frontline today and will call Dr. Gheewala tomorrow
as get the things started ASAP
i hope he gets fine asap because saint bernard usually gets more sick than other breeds and my family is giving up pn him
On*
Oh, no! I know he looks terrible, but if you and Dr. Gheewala stick with him, I really think he will be fine!Good idea to apply the Frontline. Don't bathe him for at least 2 days (or not at all actually until Dr. Gheewala takes his skin scrapings, and cultures. Let Dr. Gheewala guide you in all aspects of his treatment. I'm sure that Dr. Gheewala realizes like I that we give the "orders" but you have all the work of carrying them out! A big thank you to you!I have a few appointments, but will check Facebook as soon as I can!
Yes sure take your time :)
I'll apply frontline and will follow the procedure you provided
thank you so much
update me as soon as you check facebook
Hi!Unfortunately I still have not heard from Animal Care Center! I'd like very much to walk with you through Buddy's diagnosis and care. If Dr. Gheewala doesn't want to talk with me directly, you could follow the plan and request the diagnostics and then with those result, we could work up a treatment plan.At this point, I doubt the Frontline has decreased any of Buddy's itching. . .he has so much else going on. But don't despair, for right now it is doing what it is supposed to do, preventing the fleas from biting him.