Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 8 year old pomeranian male that occasionally hunkers…

Customer Question
I have a 8 year...
I have a 8 year old pomeranian male that occasionally hunkers down on front and twists his front half of his body to one side and one leg apears to give hand shakes. He has a slight shake and looks at you as though he does not see you. This last about 15 sec. and then he is fine. It has happened once about 3 months ago and then 1 time last week and 1 time this week. thank you for your time GARYE HIGGINS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Pom. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
This sounds like some type of seizure, but it is hard to say without seeing it. If it happens again, try to take a video to post here or show to your veterinarian.
This could be a sign of low blood sugar, a liver condition called a liver shunt, or a brief loss of oxygen to the brain, called syncope.
If he continues to have these episodes, in addition to getting a video, look at his gums while it is happening. If his gums look pale, not a normal bright pink, he may be temporarily not getting oxygen to his brain. This could be from a heart arrhythmia, or other heart problem.
I would also consider doing blood tests to check his liver number, blood sugar, thyroid level, etc.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian