Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a labrador , every morning and threw-out the day the…

Customer Question
i have a labrador...
i have a labrador , every morning and threw-out the day the dogs eyes are full of puss at the bottom pocket area , i clean it out and back it comes can you tell me why and how to treat , thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'd like to be of help to you and Radar today.Radar's eyes could be irritated by dust and pollen right now. You can help this by flushing each eye with a saline solution (OTC in your drug store) twice daily.It could be that Radar has developed an infection in his eyes, or that he is ill with something systemically, and he would need to have antibiotic drops for his eyes, and have systemic treatment if needed. He'd need to see your vet there if this is the case.Radar could also have ectropion. This means that his lower eyelids are basically too loose and form pockets that catch his tears which leads to inflammation and pus. This can be surgically corrected.
At home, you can try the saline flushes and cleaning, but if Radar's eyes are reddened and this is not taken care of with the saline flushes and cleaning, then Radar should see his vet.Hope this all helps! Of course, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. . .Dr. Barbara
compared to our other labrador his eyelids appear loose , if we do not have surgery done can it affect him negatively in the longterm and can we just clean out his eyes daily without adverse effects
Thanks for your reply. The only way that ectropion of the lower lids is a problem is if your lab cannot close his eyes thoroughly which leads to chronic kerratitis (corneal inflammation), scarring and vision impairing corneal opacities. If he can close his eyes completely and you keep the lower lid clean with saline drops in the eyes and a moist towel, then he should be fine.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian