Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My GSD was spayed 10 days ago. She seems back to normal

Customer Question

My GSD bitch was spayed 10 days ago. She seems back to normal but I've noticed a red patch near her genital / urinal area which she seems to lick a lot. Is this cause for concern?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you and Nefertiti today.It is not normal for a dog to be licking her vulva or surrounding area after a spay. There is an irritation in or around her vulva that is most likely unrelated to her surgery. She may have a urinary tract infection. She could have a grass awn in her vulva, or she may have some unusual drainage from the remaining uterus especially if she was recently in heat. Has Nefertiti been in heat? If so when?