Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Pitty Mix that has an awful time with itching/scratching/biting…

Customer Question
I have a Pitty Mix...
I have a Pitty Mix that has an awful time with itching/scratching/biting this time of year. We are in California. I was just browsing looking for something to offer her relief. I've tried Benadryl which helps but probably not enough to justify giving it to her in the first place.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is she only itchy in the summer?
What dose of Benadryl did you use? How often were you giving it?
How much does she weigh?
Did her vet do any testing to pinpoint the trigger for her signs (ie skin scrapes, allergy testing)?
Any change to her diet at all in the 4-6 weeks before this started?
What flea treatment are you using? When was it last applied?
No worries,
Marley is only itchy in the summer,
I give her 60mg of Benadryl up to 3 times a day depending on how well or if it works.
She weighs 66lbs as of last month,
No change in diet
Frontline was applied 6/15.
Her vet did bloodwork, did no scrapings. Was told that she was 6 lbs overweight and her bloodwork came back "normal"Thanks,
tami and Marley
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian