Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a lab chow mix, we had gone out of town on emergency…

Customer Question
hello I have a lab...
hello I have a lab chow mix, we had gone out of town on emergency and had him watched, but the people who was watching him forgot to cut his dew/ due paw nails, now the nails have grown into the due paw. what should we do, to fix his paws we do not have a lot of cash flow right now,but we are desperate to help our family member (dog). please tell us what to do thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today. If the dew claws are growing into the pad, we have no choice but to cut them. Are the pads swollen? Do you see signs of infection/discharge?
no discharge,or infection can be seen, the pads do not look swollen,he is walking but seems to be in some pain.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
OK, then it would be best to have someone (or perhaps two people) restrain him really well while the third person cuts those nails. After that, the pads may bleed once the nails are pulled out. Just apply pressure to stop any bleeding. Then you can soak his paw in some dilute iodine (which is available OTC at human pharmacies).
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan
brisadog
brisadog
brisadog