Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took our dog to the local petco vet clinic on Sunday June…

Customer Question
I took our dog to...
I took our dog to the local petco vet clinic on Sunday June 21st. He had routine vaccines and a rabies shot. The follow day his leg hurt wasn't able to walk on it then he was fine that evening however he was itching a lot and now I see hives all over tonight was the first I noticed lots of them. Seems he is having a reaction. Is there anything I can give him for his relief until we get him to the local vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear Odie is having a delayed reaction to the vaccinations! Tonight you want to give:
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6 hours which will cause mild sedation
- An oatmeal-based dog shampoo bath to soothe the skin with ten minutes contact time and rinsed with cool water
- Take a moist towel and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes then apply to the body to also help soothe until the benadryl takes effect which should be 30-60 minutes
If this is not giving him improvement in the next hour then I would advise a veterinary er to administer steroids to stop the hives and provide him relief but the above protocol should help Odie get comfortable until your veterinarian opens in the morning.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope he feels better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Ok thank you I have oatmeal bath for dogs but no Benadryl can I give him baby aspirin or something else?
No unfortunately benadryl is key as an antihistamine to resolve the bumps. Do you have a local pharmacy or grocery open that you can purchase it? It is something you should have handy with a dog in the house regardless... You can take him with you and give it to him as soon as you purchase it...
My mom has Benadryl pills is that ok? He weighs 24 lb.
Yes that is absolutely perfect, adult 25 mg formula is exactly what he needs for his size!
Ok thanks I have done everything you recommended. I will not be able to get to vet tomorrow as I have to work 12 hours the same hours as them so I will give him another Benadryl in the morning and call them.
Yes, every 6-8 hours for now if you are able. Good luck, I hope that he is feeling better soon!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Good evening, I wanted to check in on your little one to see how he is doing? Are the hives resolved? Is Odie more comfortable? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Odie. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian