How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28533
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog 30lbs swallowed 2/3 of children,s tylenol 120 ml bottle

Customer Question

My dog 30lbs swallowed 2/3 of children,s tylenol 120 ml bottle , 160 mg per 5 ml? What can give her and is this toxic? The bottle expired 1 year ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Acetaminophen becomes toxic to dogs after ingesting at least 70 mg/lb of body weight or 2100 mg for Lovely. 2/3 of 120 ml = 80 ml; 80 ml x 32 mg/ml (160 mg/5ml) = 2560 mg = a toxic dose. If it's been less than an hour since she ingested this, inducing emesis by 3% hydrogen peroxide is recommended. The dose for her is 2 measuring tablespoons given with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes particularly if fed a slice of bread first. If she doesn't vomit, please repeat the same dose. Toxicity to the liver is most common in dogs. Please keep me posted.