Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband sprinkled apron xl fungicide seed in yard where…

Customer Question
My husband sprinkled apron xl...
My husband sprinkled apron xl fungicide seed in yard where our greyhound plays. Is this safe??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the effects of exposing your pup to Apron xl fungicide seed.This seed is coated with a fungicide called mefenoxam (ISO-name: metalaxyl-M). It is considered non-toxic to fish and birds but is slightly more toxic to mammals.However the fungicide would have to be eaten in very high quantities to have any effect, much more than your pup would get just by licking up a few seeds or licking his paws after playing on the seeded areas. The NOAEL (amount that can be given with no observable effects) was 250 ppm, equal to 7.8 mg of pure fungicide per kg of body weight per day. In short as a precaution I would probably not let him play on the seeded areas until it was well watered and the seeded area had time to sprout, but if he did there should not be any concerns of toxicity.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received my response and did not have any further questions. If you have questions feel free to respond or if you are all set please remember to rate my response so that I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian