Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I live a very long ways away from a vet and have no idea about

Customer Question
emergency vet clinic this late...
I live a very long ways away from a vet and have no idea about emergency vet clinic this late. My husband fed our puppy this evening and I didn’t know that he fed her, so I fed her. I don’t know what time my husband did, but I fed her around 5:30 - 6pm this evening. I found out about an hour after feeding them that they had already been fed. My puppy after a few hours started acting lazy and not playful any more. I thought that she was just tuckered out, but now I can see that her tummy is really full and tight. She is 3 months old and is a German Shepard/ Alaskan Malamute puppy. I don’t know how much she weighs. All of her shots are updated. Should I make her throw up or is it too late for that? Not sure what to do or am I being too worried? It is past her bedtime, Not sure what to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How many hours has it been since her last meal?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Her belly is very full but is it painful to her when you press?
Has she had any vomiting, retching, or gagging?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
It’s been about 6 hours, gums are pink, I pressed on tummy, but didn’t respond to it, she did vomit a tiny bit about 3 hours ago. She had 5 breaths in 10 seconds x 10 = 30
Hello?
Just wanted you to know that the breath count was taken while she was asleep
Thank you,
First, I am glad to hear that her breathing is normal, her gums color is good and that she doesn't have belly pain with this. If we where to see any changes to these, then we'd be in an urgent situation. Still, in this case, we do need to tread with care since your lass essentially has what we would call a food bloat.
Now generally speaking, most of these cases will settle with monitoring and home supportive care within 24-48 hours. In regards ***** ***** further to those parameters I noted to watch for, we also need to keep an eye that she develops no abdominal pain, distension, weakness, paling gums, severe nausea, +/- profuse vomiting or diarrhea. If we were to see any of these, then we'd want her seen urgently.
Further to just keeping an eye on her, we'd want to plan to rest her stomach and withhold food for 24 hours. As well, we just want to give small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours. After that time frame has passed, resume feeding but only give 25-50% of his normal meal size. Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart her normal feeding routine. In regards ***** ***** to feed, we tend to offer a light diet in these cases. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Whichever you choose, you can also add a bit of fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all-bran) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment) to just help push this overdose of food through her GI a bit quicker.
Overall, if your lass is just a bit quiet but all those signs are normal despite that big food filled stomach, then we'd want to take the above approach and monitor at this stage. But if you see any of those adverse signs I mentioned, since we do have some serious potential risk factors (blockage, bloat, GI twists, pancreatitis), then we'd want to follow up urgently with your vet to make sure she suffers no adverse effects from this overfeeding.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
PS- That is perfect if it was at rest since it was normal for her.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon!
Hi Lynda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Miley. How is everything going?
Customer
She has been to the vet 3 times. She is on a special canned food diet. She is looking very skinny. She pooped out a whole mens sock. Gave vet poop sample and find out today if she has worms or some kind of intestinal bug. She acts like she is starving all the time.
Oh dear,
That wee mischief maker, if she has passed a sock. Hopefully, that is the only odd item that she has eaten and those results will be in soon to pinpoint the root of her increased appetite yet lack of weight gain (especially as worms and protozoa are the most common agents to trigger such signs in a pup).
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian