Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog cannot keep anything down she throws up water with blood…

Customer Question
my dog cannot keep anything...
my dog cannot keep anything down she throws up water with blood in it. She smacks her mouth as if she has somethig in her mouth, but her mouth is empty.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did she last vomit?
Are her gums pink or white/pale?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, soreness, discomfort, or tenderness?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie toys, bones, socks, rocks, plants, people medication, toxins, etc)?

She does tense up it I push her tummy. She didn't eat anything that I'm aware of.

Last vomit was about 1.5 hours ago. But now she literally just threw up again. Bile and bloody. She was throwing up water when she was drinking it. Now she doesn't want to drink water. Her gums seem normal pinkish.

Thank you, Shannon.
First, I am glad to hear that her gums are still pink, but generally speaking here we are going to have to tread with great care. The reason, as I am sure you can appreciate, is that this severity of nausea will greatly limit what you can do at home for her. Therefore, if she has just vomited again, we are going to either need to rest her stomach by withholding food for the next few hours or may need to think about having your local vet treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication to bypass her mouth/stomach and get her settled quickly. And I have to say that the latter is our treatment of choice in dogs too nauseous to even keep water down.
Of course, if you did want to try home care at this stage (if her vet isn't open just now), you can again rest her stomach. If she is more settled after a few hours fast, then you can then try her on antacid therapy. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx) or Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.
If she does manage to keep that down and is more settled afterwards, then we'd want to start her oh a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) These are all better tolerated by upset stomachs and are easy to digest. When feeding these to nauseous dogs, we tend to start with a spoonful and then offer more only if they can keep the last bit down for at least 30 minutes. As they stabilize, we can of course offer more and then wean them slowly back to normal food once they are settled.
On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on her water intake and hydration if she is vomiting this much. To check her hydration status to make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this here. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giTyuiF_slw). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your wee one seen by her vet before this gets out of control for her (especially as we cannot syringe fluids in vomiting dogs).
Overall, I am quite concerned about Maggie. The blood just sounds related to throat irritation/erosion from the force of her vomits (which will settle as the vomiting does), but her severity really limits how we can help her and raises real worries of potential dehydration. Therefore, we'd want to rest her stomach right now and try the above if she can tolerate it. But if she cannot even keep that down, then that would be a red flag that we need her local vet to administer anti-vomiting medication by injection to break her nausea cycle and give her a chance to settle and us a chance to clear the cause of her GI upset for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.

I do plan to take her to her Vet as soon as they open. Unfortunately it's almost midnight here now so that's. 8 hours away. I wonder why she has bloodshot eyes? Maybe just because shes use to sleeping on and off and she cant get comfortable to get any sleep. Im happy to hear you think the blood is also just irritation. She wont eat an antacid, I tried earlier. :( Im just worried about my baby. 8 hours seems so far away.

Hi again Shannon.
I agree that it is always stressful when these issues arise in the wee hours.
Now the blood shot eyes are just going to be related to the pressure/force that is associated with vomiting. It is much the same with people that are profusely vomiting. So, that too is likely just a side effect that will settle if we can get her settled.
And if it is 8 hours until her vet is open, I would suggest just trying to keep her calm, dim the lights, and let her sleep through this if we can. As well, you can crush the antacid to mix with water or a bit of milk to give. And if you use a syringe/eye dropper/turkey baster you can slip that between her cheek and teeth to give and not wrestle trying to force her mouth open to give.
Please take care & all the best for Maggie.
Dr. B.

She was diagnosed today with Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE)

Hello again Shannon,

I am glad to hear that she was seen and diagnosed. While not a pleasant infection for them to have, it tends to be one that is very treatable and hasn't any long term effects. So, hopefully she will respond to the vet's care and get back to feeling like herself shortly.

All the best,
Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Hi Shannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

nekovet