Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 yr old collie, and last week one of his eyes…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 10...
Hi, I have a 10 yr old collie, and last week one of his eyes appears to be sinking in and a pale skin on the lower part of the eye starts to cover his eye half way. If we play with him like tug a rope it happens right away. Today I noticed the other eye is start to water like the other did and appears to be doing the same process, is this condition treatable?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Don't say answer in minutes, and then later I see "and always within a day" Maybe you should say 9-5, instead of 24/7
6/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Horner's syndrome should be considered when enophthalmos - the "sinking in" of the eyes - and prolapse of the 3rd eyelid - the "pale skin part of the eye" is noted. You may also see notice ptosis (dropped upper eyelid), miosis (smaller than usual pupil), and absence of the the blink reflex. Horner's describes a loss of sympathetic innervation to the eye. Risk factors include blunt trauma, cervical/thoracic spinal cord damage or infiltration (lymphoma, e.g.), neoplastic infiltration of the neck, intracranial neoplasia, and otitis media or other middle ear lesions. To answer you directly, then, he'll need to be thoroughly examined including a complete neurological exam in order to determine the source of his eye changes and to see if they would be treatable. His vet may recommend referral to a specialist neurologist as can be found here: www.acvim.org or to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist as can be found here: www.acvo.org Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?