Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dr. K. All day My puppy has been making every effort

Customer Question
Hello Dr. K. All day...
Hello Dr. K. All day My puppy has been making every effort not to wag his tail and keeps it between his legs. He also has trouble sitting down and will choose to lay down rather than sit. When he is laying down, he licks his anus which I assume he's doing to comfort his wound. He won't let anyone touch his tail so I can't see what's going on under his tail but I watched as he licked-nothing seems out of the ordinary, but then again I don't typically look at his anus. He's been this way one time before but when I took him to the vet, it was diagnosed that it was part of an adverse side effect to a pet calming medication that I gave him. Since that I haven't given him any of the medication, so now I figure something is wrong w his tail or his anus. He went to the bathroom without any issues twice today, so I'm trying to figure out how to alleviate his pain without running to the vet. He also seems so down and very whiny and needing comfort, so that's just makes it that much more saddening. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about DJ. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I am also sorry to see you have waited until now for an expert to help with your question. I just came online and saw it. Do you want to continue?
This is probably one of two things. Since he licks his anus, he might have an impacted or infected anal gland. Dogs have two of these glands and they are internal, so you often do not see anything
The other thing might have is "limber tail". We do not know the cause, but a dog suddenly has a painful tail, holds it straight down, won't wag for a couple of days. It sometimes happens after the dog has been very active or exercising. The good news is that it gets better after 2 to 3 days. The only treatment is pain medication like carprofen. You can try aspirin, one low dose aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, every 12 to 24 hours, with food.
I would have his anal glands checked if this continues.
Let me know what else I can help with. Hope he is better soon. Rebecca
Thanks Rebecca I appreciate your expertise. Actually this just happened yesterday and I was thinking about taking him to the vet today if the problem persisted. But I will try the aspirin, hopefully it will help. He seems a little bit better-he's holding his tail a little higher and less between his legs and even attempted to sit. But thanks for your advice!
You are welcome! Let me know how he is doing, and if I can answer anything else.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian