Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 90# ***** ate a peach pit. I don't kniw if he chewes

Customer Question

My 90# ***** ate a peach pit. I don't kniw if he chewes it. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear Jack is trying to get himself into trouble this evening. I am happy to help you this evening. Peach pits are notorious for causing intestinal blockages when they swallow them. They are way to hard for them to chew them into pieces so he most likely has swallowed it whole. It is important to induce vomiting to get the peach pit back out of him so no obstruction occurs. I would use hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs of body weight. So give him 9 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth. Wait 15 minutes and see if he vomits. If he does not repeat in 15 minutes. Do this up to 3 times. If you are unable to induce vomiting then he should be seen by an emergency hospital to induce vomiting to get the pit out. If he does vomit but no peach pit then still have him seen so x rays can be taken to see where the peach pit is. If he vomits it back up then there is no concern and you should be good. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead