Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Small dog has not had a movement in 2 days eats good but throws…

Customer Question
small dog has not had...
small dog has not had a movement in 2 days eats good but throws it upafter a short time.
has no other problems still active under no destress .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How old is your dog? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is he trying to go? 4- Is he drinking?
Close to a year .yes he is drinking.no medical conditions.he is not that I have seen.
1- So for the last two days he has been vomiting, correct? 2- Is there always food in the vomit? 3- Does he vomit without food? 4- Did he get into anything?
Only when he eats.always food.not without food. He has a chewing problem. He likes tennis shoes.
Friend, if he is vomiting the food he is not having a bowel movement because the food is not reaching the large intestines (colon). The big question is: Why is he vomiting the food? When see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. In a young dog ingestion of a foreign body is very high on the list of possible causes.In this case on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. At this stage, I would highly recommend you consider having him checked by your family veterinarian for xrays as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, this is what you can do:1- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- Feed him small amounts 4-6 times a day of a bland diet like boiled boneless chicken with rice. If possible blend the food. 3- Raise his eating bowl on to a small stool to force him to raise his head while he eats. 4- Follow up with family veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter