Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Today my dog has lost his appetite and has a warm nose and

Customer Question
is shaking whilst asleep...
Today my dog has lost his appetite and has a warm nose and is shaking whilst asleep
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Hecter is not feeling well today.May I ask has he had any vomiting, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, gurgling stomach) or diarrhea today as well?
I can give you basic guidelines for Hecter but if he is not improving please have him seen by your veterinarian. The reduced appetite unfortunately is a very general condition that can be related to gi discomfort, endocrine changes, issues with liver or kidneys, etc and so we can try addressing this as if it is a gi issue but if there is no change please have him evaluated.In addition, the trembling while sleeping is also an indication of not feeling well and cannot be honed in to one cause at this point. - Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily for the next 3 days which will help settle his stomach and minimize gastric acids that can be associated with nausea and general gi upset- Offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. - If no change or he seems more lethargic then I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Hecter comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen, restlessness as wellI hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. With his age and the signs he is showing I worry about more organ function issues or arthritis or back changes but there is a hope he will turn around with the above recommendations If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian