Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10wk old great dane woke up Saturday morning around 2am

Customer Question
vomiting in his kennel....
my 10wk old great dane woke up Saturday morning around 2am vomiting in his kennel. It looked like food that he ate about 6pm the night before. He vomited 3 more times during the night. He is drinking water in small amounts and is able to keep it down. He vomited again last night 2 times. Yesterday he was pooping less than normal in times d/t not eating. This morning he had a small amount of feces that was slightly mucousy.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any blood in the stool? 2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 3- Is he lethargic?

There has been no blood in vomit or stool. He is crate trained unless he is with us and has not gotten into anything visible to us. He has been lethargic last evening and this morning. But he will go outside and walk around when going to the bathroom. He is up-to-date on all of his vaccines. He is currently being treated for hook worms. His first dose of treatment was 6.15.15 and he is scheduled to have the second dose tomorrow.

1- What is the name of the medication he is on? 2- How much does he weigh?

I can't remember the name. I am not at home. It is a whitish liquid. he weighed 21.4# ***** he was at the vet on the 15th.

Friend, when we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. The vomiting is secondary to the inflammation. Could it be secondary to intestinal parasites or the dewormer? Yes. Other possible causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, dietary indiscretion, etc. to name a few causes. I would have him re-checked by family veterinarian in the meantime this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Do Not give him the dewormer until he is re-checked by your your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian