Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I've been looking over the counter treatment .

Customer Question
I've been looking for an...
I've been looking for an over the counter treatment for diarrhea. A few sites I've seen on line say it is OK to give immodium. I spoke with my vet yesterday before they closed and they recommended pepcid and small amounts of rice and boiled chicken, but the diarrhea has not improved and it's been a day.
Thanks, Linda
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello Linda, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry that your dog continues to have looser than normal stools; depending on the underlying cause (and there's a fairly long list), it might take a few days for improvement to be seen.
If internal parasites are the problem, diarrhea might persist until she/he is wormed.
Loperamine or Imodium can be given to dogs but I tend to avoid it's use for a number of reasons.
I've seen a number of dogs develop side effects such as constipation, bloat, and sedation with other, potentially, more serious adverse effects possible such as paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, pancreatitis, and central nervous system signs.
In addition, collies, shepherds, related breeds, or other dogs who have a defective MDR-1 gene mutation may be overly sensitive to loperamide and it's use should be avoided.
But for your information, the dose would be 0.1 mg per kilogram of body weight 2-3 times a day for 2-3 days.
I suspect they meant to say Pepto rather than Pepcid since this latter drug is not particularly effective for diarrhea but is good for vomiting issues.
The following protocol is what I recommend for an otherwise healthy dog who has loose stool issues:
1. Continue a bland diet of 1 part boiled chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day.
2. If he/she is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and is not vomiting, then you can give Regular Strength Pepto Bismol. The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.
For example, if he/she weighs 50 lbs, then you would give 5 mls or one teaspoon.
Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.
This drug can discolor the feces to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.
3. I'd start a good quality, canine probiotic such as Forti Flora or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.
In most cases, the patient will respond the symptomatic treatment as I've outlined above; I hope that this is the case with your dog.
Deb
She also has been throwing up but not as frequently as the diarrhea. She still wants to eat. Energy is a bit lower but not lethargic. The probiotics can be found at a pet store? Will they help immediately?
Thanks for the additional information. The fact that she's still hungry is a good sign although it doesn't surprise me that she might be a little "off".
If she's also a little nauseous, then this is probably why your vet suggested Pepcid, then. You won't want to give her Pepto Bismol while she's still nauseous, though; you may not be able to address this problem until she stops vomiting.
Probiotics are often sold at pet or grain stores. As to how quickly they work, that depends on what caused the gastrointestinal issues in the first place. But they can be quite effective in shortening the time a dog has loose stools, regardless of the cause.
Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian