Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Dr. Joey... My dog is 3 years old and yesterday I got her a

Customer Question

Dr. Joey... My dog is 3 years old and yesterday I got her a cake and some treats and she has been shaking. Hours after we went to sleep she started moving and I wasn't sure what was wrong but now she's alert but shaking. This happened to her before and they told me it was some type if poison from the food and I'm thinking it has to be something from the stuff she ate. She was perfectly fine before and the only change was the cake and treats I got for her. What should I do? Take her to the emergency room? Just monitor? Will it just go away? Please help me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
If she has been trembling for over an hour, as it sounds, and cannot stop this trembling, then this is one of those signs that indicates an emergency visit is needed.
Trembling/shaking if uncontrollable and full body can indicate a toxicity of some variety. Or if it is off and on then it could represent pain such as abdominal/stomach pain. Pain could come from another location as well. Usually with abdominal pain she would progress to have vomiting or diarrhea or you would hear loud stomach growling. There are also other issues such as electrolyte problems that could cause trembling.
I do wish I could provide you with an exact diagnosis but I too would need to perform an examination followed by some testing (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) to try to narrow down the cause. There is also no good over-the-counter option if this is not clearing which I can recommended. Offering water is fine. I would withhold food until you have her examined by a veterinarian.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maria,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey