Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can a dog get bordetella after receiving a shot a few days

Customer Question

Can a dog get bordetella after receiving a shot a few days later?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now it is important to remember that vaccination is actually our introducing a modified (weak or dead) pathogen into the body of the animal that we vaccinate. We do this to teach the immune system how to fight off that bacterial or virus and create long lasting immunity. Now when this is done, there is always the chance (especially if the dog is immune naive or hasn't a very robust immune system) that the animal vaccinated can develop the infection a few days later. It is just same same with people get flu vaccinations. And in both cases, they do tend to have mild and short flare ups of the vaccinated agent before the body subdues it and uses it to develop immunity so it cannot be infected by this when faced in the real world. So, it is quite possible to see this but we would expect it to be a mild and quicker to settle flare up then what we would see in a real infection.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )