Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The past couple weeks I have noticed a few different thing…

Customer Question
The past couple weeks I...
The past couple weeks I have noticed a few different thing going on with my dog. She is a two and a half year old blue heeler. Her left eye has been watering A LOT. No green mucus or anything, just very watery. She has also been itching and chewing at her paws. I figured it was bad allergies so I have given her Benadryl which only helps for a little while. Then the thing that is scaring me the most happened tonight. A couple times she has randomly yelped for no reason. I started feeling her all over and noticed it was when I reached for her back legs. She will not let me touch them or her back paws. She is also moving slower than usual when she went to jump up on my bed or when I called her over to me. She is in good health, very very active and has been eating and drinking fine. The past two days she has also had two accidents in the house which she never does. I'm really worried about her
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There appear to be multiple concomitant disorders. I'll address them as you presented them...Epiphora (excessive tearing) in just one eye isn't likely to represent allergy but, instead, an irritant that found its way into that eye, trauma, or perhaps an anatomical disorder involving her eyelid(s) or eyelashes - entropion, distichiasis, ectopic cilia, e.g. Pruritis (itchiness) involving the paws is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of either atopic dermatitis (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) or food intolerance. Neither allergy is reliably addressed with antihistamines; instead, a short course of a corticosteroid such as prednisone is usually prescribed for atopy and a presumptive hypoallergenic diet is fed to address a food intolerance. Her yelping, reticence to jump up, move, or be handled about her rear end suggests musculoskeletal or spinal pain. Her vet will need to carefully palpate her in an attempt to localize the pain. X-rays may be recommended. Finally, "accidents" in a well-trained dog indicate a urinalysis in an attempt to identify a urinary tract infection. If not found, behavioral inappropriate urination is considered and we also have to consider that medical problems elsewhere in her body can cause behavioral changes in elimination. Behavioral modification should never be attempted until all medical causes are eliminated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Macy. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian