Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog ate black plastic wrap filled with gelatinous material

Customer Question
on bottom of packaged meat...
Dog ate black plastic wrap filled with gelatinous material on bottom of packaged meat (human) Is the filling in the plastic poison, red and sticky, disintegrates quickly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry no one has assisted you and your dog yet today, I just signed on and saw your questionThe primary concern of ingestion is not toxicity but foreign body obstruction and secondarily anything that the meat might have left on the plastic that can cause illness such as salmonella. If he chew it up then the risk of foreign body is very low but if he ingested it whole then we need to monitor for any signs of obstruction which can include vomiting, lethargy, reduced appetite. Since we are out of the window of inducing vomiting (which is typically one hour but with the plastic not breaking down nor digesting readily it will probably be a 2-3 hour window) we can do a few things to encourage this to pass on its own: 1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now2.) Take a nice walk to help move the plastic through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread. The bread is used to help bulk up the plastic to hopefully push it through 4.) Monitor for signs of the plastic coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the plastic through the intestinal tract This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own. If we are still in the 2-3 hour window you can consider inducing vomiting if you feel he likely ingested the plastic intact. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.I hope this information makes sense and again I apologize no one assisted you quickly today...Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian