Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** dog's name is ***** *****'s a Miniatu…

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** dog's name is ***** ***** a Miniature Schnauzer. She's my fur-baby. She's helped me in soo many ways through my numerous battles with cancer since 2010 she also detects my seizures before I have one & never has had any previous training for that.
Unfortunately, Oreo has been having some issues which at 1st my vet thought was a tumor but after he went to do a byopsy he found it was full of green pus like a fistula. He drained it with needle & syringe & prescibed antibiotics. This he's done twice & started to swell up, AGAIN :(
It's located between her anus & vaginal area the area tends to swell & fill up with every 3 month's, it's not cancer, it has not gotten in her blood stream & the Vet's pretty sure it's not an anal gland. He said he's Never seen anything like this in all his years of being a Vet. :(
now I noticed after walking her a few minutes ago she's got a very small red bump sticking out of anus like a hemroid.
My vets isn't open today on Saturdays, but opened tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to help this red bump? & also any ideas about what the other problem is with this thing my vet has drained twice
& that has my vet stumped as well??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The initial abscess needs to widely opened and explored for a foreign body which, if present, won't allow resolution of the infection until it's removed. If you live west of the Mississippi, a foxtail (see image) is a common plant awn that can migrate into the area presumably by entering the vagina and then penetrating the wall of the vagina and moving into the soft tissue between the vagina and anus. it isn't clear to me what the red bump indicates. Can you upload a photo of this to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Thank you for your response, I gave Oreo some Pumpkin puree yesterday she was straining like she's constipated its a natural way to handle the constipation, I remembered that is what my vet told me.
Oreo had a very large bowl movement & now that small red-ish bump that was protruding from her anus is gone.
I've been examining her bowel movements since then. There's no blood or nothing that looks slightly suspicious.
My vet says that area between the vagina & anus has a lot of nerves, he's a little leary of doing that plus at the time this abscess became very pronounced/enlarged Oreo was going in for surgery to be fixed. The vet said he didn't want to drain it at the time because of her surgical sight. That was the 1st time he drained it with a syringe, that was in April of this year. The 2nd time he drained it was the 1st or 2nd week of June.
My Vet told me I'll probably need to consult with a specialist because, he's never seen nothing like this, in all the years of being a vet.
Oreo has had this bump between her anus & vagina for a few year's, I always thought it was normal. It just never became so enlarged until she was due to go in to have surgery to fixed & she's acting fine like nothing is bothering her. Playful & loving as usual.
My dilemma is I live on very fixed income & my Vet I've been taking Oreo to, works payments out with me every month which I'm extremely grateful & Very appreciative that him & his wife do that for me.
He's Never steared anyone wrong in my family. My family has been going to him since I was a very small child, when I got my first dog at the age of 5. I feel even though he's leary because of all the nerves in that area. I have faith in him that he can do whatever it takes to open the abscess.
If he can save my sister's little puppy at only a couple month's old who contracted Parvo. I believe & have Faith that he can handle this.
Plus, Honestly I do not have a choice because I just can not afford to take my sweet little Oreo to a specialist.
They worked out payments, due to my fixed income & plus due my health condition. I've battling cancer off & on for several years & unfortunately, after being in remission for a short time, I recently found out on May 8th that I have 3 tumor's on my spine. I've been for numerous tests, seen several specialist
nuro-surgeon's as well as following up with oncologist.
Next is a full body P.E.T scan then more than likely start chemotherapy, again.
So this situation with Oreo has had me very worried & stressing because my vet said he's never seen anything like it & he was stumped & before I start chemotherapy, again & become to weak or to sick to tend to Oreo's abscess that needs lanced.
I've been grasping at straws trying to find an answer what's wrong with Oreo & how to fix this problem. I'm truly Thankful I found this sight & was able to consult with you about her situation.
Well....While writing back to your response, I called my Vet's office
& spoke w/Marris, she now has me scheduled for tomorrow.
I explained everything to her that you've written about the Foxtail plant. She wrote everything down & said she will definitely discuss this with her husband & she'll pull all the information that she can find on the information you gave me.
Thank you so much,
I truly appreciate all your help, advice & information about the foxtail plant.Sincerely, *****P.S.
Is there anyway that you can e-mail me this information to me? My email address.***@******.***
reason why I'm asking is I'm not used this phone my daughter got me & not 100% sure If I know how to save this page &; information Etc.
I'd really appreciate it very much if you can email this information.
Thank you so much
Thank you for the additional information. I'm not allowed to correspond with you outside of this venue but you can use your "print screen" key on your computer to print out our conversation. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?