Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4yr old daschund has been to my vet with hard swollen

Customer Question
Hi my 4yr old daschund...
Hi my 4yr old daschund has been to my vet with hard swollen neck muscles , we wondered whether she had been stung/bitten by something as first symptoms were here wanting to scratch at her neck constantly , then I noticed the swelling both sides of her neck , she initially had anti inflammatory jabs x 2 over 4 days which she felt better and swelling went right down but then swelling came back , she has now been on antibiotics since Tuesday pm and swelling gone down a bit but now has swollen shoulders
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Do I carry on till end of antibiotic course or take her back to vet asap , does the spread to her shoulders mean tablets aren't working , what does it sound like the problem is to you
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you and Sybil today. It does sound like Sybil was/is having an allergic reaction to ?????? Was Sybil treated with steroid injections or with an NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug)?
If the spreading swelling is an abscess developing, then your vet will have to drain this along with keeping her on the antibiotic.
Has Sybil been running a fever?
She had dexadreson and marbocyl jabs now on kesium , her temperature was slightly up 102
Thanks for your response. I'm in the US so need to research the drugs she's been on. . .not familiar with these names. So want to tell you tho' that 102 is considered a normal temperature for a dog.I'll be back shortly. . .
OK. . .thanks for your patience! Dexadreson is a steroid (dexamethasone). Marbocyl is the antibiotic Marbofloxacin. These are what I suspected, but the Kesium I cannot find. I think this is probably the antibiotic Keflex. So Sybil and the Dexadreson injections twice daily for 4 days. . .correct? If this is accurate, then I doubt that her problem now is an allergy. . .could have been initially, but 4 days of Dexadreson twice daily should have gotten her through any allergic stimulation.
Sorry the dexadresonn was a jab on the 16/9 then a second jab on 19/6 then started antibiotics kesium chewable on 23/6
So he had only two Dexadreson injections? One on June 18 and the second on June 19. Sorry that this is confusing!
Yes one on 16th then a second in the 19th they're supposed last 48hrs
So, Sybil had about 4 days worth of steroidal treatment. This should have taken care of any antigenic stimulation then. However, no matter the cause of her initial itchiness and swelling (allergic or just trauma), we are left with the possibility/probability of infection setting in. Since Sybil has developed more swelling, I think that she is dealing with infection now, and perhaps abscess formation. Is the swelling fluctuant now, or what is the quality of this swelling?
The swelling in her neck has nearly gone but the swelling is now at the top of her shoulder muscle both front legs not far from the base of her original neck swelling ,it's not hugely swollen but definitely a puffiness to her shoulder , not solid swelling , quite fluidy , is it normal for infection to move around ,
Do I need to panic and rush her to emergency vets or just take her back to my vets on Monday
It is normal for an abscess to seek the lowest point of the body available to it. . .gravity. Since this is soft and fluidy, I suspect an abscess, but it could also just be non-infected serum that has oozed from some trauma to the area. It could also be blood. . .especially if whatever happened to her has depleted her platelets or interfered with her normal clotting mechanism. I do recommend now that you get her emergency care to determine what this fluid is and to treat her adequately for what is causing this fluid accumulation.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian