Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 16 year old poodle and the past few weeks her legs keep givin…

Customer Question
I have a 16 year...
I have a 16 year old poodle and the past few weeks her legs keep giving out, twice she fell where the went completely back and the front went completely front..it scared me she could not get up I had to pick her up..I held her close a moment then put her down..and she was fine..twice this happened.. but yet she has never stopped eating never...at all. She eventually stands again minutes later. She jumps up and down all her life....and I make her stop. I thought she had a stroke. But she eats and walks around again. Today I she fell on her side and would not get up..and sort of rolled..for a min..then she got up again and ate and was fine. She then walked and was fine. I am worried. She does nothing but eats and sleeps at her age. Eats in the morning and sleeps all day and again at night and sleeps at night. I told my son I think I should put her down..she is skin and bones..but eats like a horse...my son tells me NO! What should I do...please help..now he is telling me he does not care
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 years ago
jadedangel57
Hi Jacustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
There can be many reasons for a dog to collapse including vestibular disease, organ failure, and heart issues to name a few. I can give you information on these conditions.
Symptoms include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. You do indicate that there is no head tilt or abnormal eye movement, so this may not be the issue.
Here are some great sites on this condition:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html
Liver and Kidney issues can lead to seizure activity and affect your dog's quality of life. At her age, it is possible she is experiencing organ failure.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hepatic-failure-in-dogs
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/kidneys-bladder-urinary-system/chronic-renal-kidney-failure-in-dogs
A dog may also "faint" in which they fall to the ground usually on their side, stare straight ahead and seem paralyzed which indicates a heart problem.. This is called syncopy and can be read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/syncope-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2992
So I do feel you need to capture video of her exhibiting this behavior and then have your vet do a senior checkup on her. However, she is quite elderly so you may be looking at a situation where euthanasia would be the kindest course of action. We usually evaluate if the dog has any real quality of life. If they don't have any activities they can still enjoy or are in pain all the time, then it is likely time to consider euthanasia.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Prissy. How is everything going?

jadedangel57