Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate some ammonium nitrate. We live miles away from

Customer Question
a vet. Should I be...
My dog just ate some ammonium nitrate. We live miles away from a vet. Should I be worried.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
How much does Jesse weigh and how much ammonium nitrate in grams or ounces would you estimate she ingested?
Greetings Doc,
Thanks for your time. Jesse weighs about 25 kilograms ( sorry don't know in pounds) and ate about 1000 grams.
Thank you! A 1000 g (1 kg) is worrisome for a 25 kg dog. I couldn't find toxicity studies in dogs but did find a report of 4 humans who had ingested between 74-234 g. None became seriously ill but gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), changes in their hemoglobin, and mild hypotension (low blood pressure) were noted. All had their stomach pumped. If it's been less than 2 hours since Jessie ingested the ammonium nitrate, it would be prudent to induce emesis by dosing Jesse with 45 ml (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeating the dose is indicated. Please keep me posted.
Thank you I will.
I'll watch for your next post.
Hi Rachel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jesse. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian