Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog is not eating today

Customer Question

My dog is not eating today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!Can you tell me a little more about what's going on with Reggie?1. Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea lately?2. What type of food do you normally feed him?3. How is he acting, tired/lethargic or normal?4. Is he trying to eat and just doesn't or not even interested?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. a little diarrhea and he vomited when he ate
2. Raw food and kibble from an organic dog food store
3. A bit lethargic
4. Not interested since he vomited
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When and how will I receive an answer?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Got it, thanks!There are lots of different reasons for what you've described with all resulting in abdominal pain/discomfort and nausea; I think the most likely possibilities are:1. Ingestion of something inappropriate.2. Infection associated with the raw food; there is evidence that raw meat formulations for dogs can contain harmful bacteria such as E. coli, campylobacter and salmonella, regardless of the method of preservation (frozen, freeze dried, etc)3. Pancreatitis (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2214)4. Other types of infections, of which there are many; something that can be picked up via feces or urine of other animals.5. Internal diseases such as acute kidney diseaseGive me a few more moments and I'll type out some recommendations
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Because the signs you're describing are quite non-specific, meaning that there are many conditions that cause the same symptoms, it's important to obtain a diagnosis, so that treatment can be specific, effective and safe. Having said that, there are many cases in which symptoms like this are self limiting and resolve within a day or two, especially if they are not related to anything major. I would give Reggie about 24 hours to see if things improve on their own and if not, then I would take him to see your vet. In the meantime, offer him something bland, such as boiled or grilled boneless, skinless chicken or ground beef (no oil/spices) with cooked white rice in a 1:3 ratio (1 part meat, 3 parts rice); split the meals up into small frequent portions and feed him this for about 24 hours; if he still refuses to eat or continues to vomit over next 24 hours, that'll be the time to get him evaluated.Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's been on raw food his whole life. Should I discontinue it after this is resolved?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
I would. There is no evidence it's any better for dogs than commercial or cooked homemade dog food and much evidence that it can be harmful... The presumed benefit is that it's what dogs ate a long time ago and that it's "natural" but the dogs that hunted years and years ago have evolved so dramatically that their intestinal tracts are very different now. The commercial diets available now are well balanced nutritionally, safe and typically much easier to feed....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome; best of luck! Hope Reggie is feeling better soon.