Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Front left shoulder swollen. She won't walk on it. female…

Customer Question
Front left shoulder swollen....
Front left shoulder swollen. She won't walk on it. female Stafford shire terrier 40 pounds. She has been playing a lot.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian, with over 30 years experience, and will do my best to help. How long has she been lame? Is she going on three legs, not putting any weight on that leg at all? Or is she at least "toe touching" and putting some weight on it?
It just started this afternoon. The shoulder is swollen. She puts no wait on it. I put warm towels.
How do you determine, I break from muscle soreness?
If dislocated, how to put back?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
There are 3 things that make a dog not put any weight on a leg: a broken bone, infection, or a tumor.
How old is she? If she is young, a tumor is unlikely, and bone cancer is rare in this breed.
Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer? If she has a fever, over 103, this may be an infection and she might need antibiotics, pain, and anti inflammatory medication.
If she were mine, I would take an Xray. Until you can get her to your veterinarian to be examined and maybe Xrayed, you could try aspirin: 2 baby or low dose aspirin twice daily, with food. If she vomits, do not repeat it.
If this is an infection, warm towels are good. If this is a sprain or injury, I would recommend ice or cool towels. If her body temperature is normal 101 to 102, I would try the cool/ice compresses.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
I was typing, and missed your most recent posts:
The only way to tell if she dislocated her shoulder would be an Xray. To put it back in, she would have to be sedated to get enough relaxation to put it back back in.
The only way to tell a break from muscle soreness is an Xray.
I am not able to do phone calls for the website. We can continue in this format, or I can opt out to let another expert help you. If you want me to opt out, let me know.
Thank you very much. I will be in touch. If she isn't better in 10 hours, we are off to the vet. I hope I can contact you again.
Yes, you can always get back in touch with me! Just go to My Questions, on the website.
I hope she is doing better soon. Kindly consider rating my answer (much appreciated!); you can always get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Let me know how she is doing.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian