Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Daughtts 45 pound puppy possibly 1-3 10mg Zyrtec early this

Customer Question

Daughtts 45 pound puppy possibly 1-3 10mg Zyrtec early this morning. It is nor 10:30 pm. When she came today there was vomit all over the crate. Puppy ate dome chicken broth and a little dry food. She played some, but is more tired than usual. Drinking water. Concernrd
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How long has it been since the last time she vomited? 2- Can you take a look at her gums gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, 30mg of Zyrtec is Not going to be fatal for a 45 lbs Reese. However, you may see some vomiting, sedation, etc. otherwise he will be fine. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit or lethargic after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter