Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

We have a little chihuahua that has lost one eye and the other

Customer Question

We have a little chihuahua that has lost one eye and the other has a lose lens that is trapped behind her pupil. We have to give her lantanoprost drops twice a day to keep her pupil small. I think she may have been scratching that eye today and her lids look like they are swelling. Should apply cold or warm compresses on that eye. We will get her into the vet tomorrow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Binky. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I would recommend the cool compresses to reduce swelling and pain. I would use cool moist cloth, or even a little ice. Pain medication may also help; do you have any for her? If not, you could try a little aspirin: 1 baby or low dose aspirin per 15 pounds, so 1/2 baby or low dose aspirin for a 5 to 10 pound dog, with food, every 12 to 24 hours. Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Sorry yo hear about your little girls eye problems, and now it sounds like she is uncomfortable. The swelling could be from an allergy (swollen lids are common with allergies). Benadryl may be quite helpful for her. The dose for dogs is 1mg/pound of body weight every 8 hours. This will also have a little sedative action, so she'll sleep well and won't be scratching.A cool compress would also help her to be more comfortable.