Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 5 lb Maltese is panting and shakin five hours

Customer Question

My 5 lb Maltese is panting and shakin for about five hours no water no diarea not vomiting not litharthgic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize that no expert has jumped in to answer your question until now.
There are many possible causes of this type of panting and shaking but by far the most common is pain from some source. The top two areas for pain to cause this type of behavior would be abdominal/stomach or spinal (neck/back). If her abdomen is tense and perhaps she vocalizes or moans when you touch, then this could be the source. The back/neck can be tougher to examine at home.
If she is still unable to settle, then I must recommend you take her to be examined immediately. We need to determine if this is due to pain or anxiety or another internal issue. I wish I could narrow down an exact diagnosis for her, but I too would need to perform a complete exam followed by some likely testing that might include lab work or X-rays.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.