Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dr. Michael Salkin, My 8 year old pit - overnight one side

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Michael Salkin, My 8 year old pit - overnight one side of her head has become sunken in. I have read the information you have given on this and am taking her to a vet this afternoon. My question is how can she have got this disease? Can we stop it spreading with the treatment options you have / our vet will prescribe.
I am printing out the information to take to the vet...will update you if I may on what is happening.
Thanks Carolyn Kiss
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Carolyn, if just one side of her head involving the temporal muscle is affected, I need to consider denervation of the mandibular branch of the trigeminal nerve on that side of her head. This can occur secondary to neoplasia (cancer) or remain idiopathic (unknown cause) even after CT or MRI is performed. This isn't something that "spreads" (although a cancer can metastasize) but further denervation of that nerve can result in her having a problem closing her mouth (jaw drop). Please let me know what her vet has to say and we can continue our discussion at that time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it is MM and not cancer..can it spread?
I will let you know what the vet says.
Thanks carolyn
MM is usually bilateral and initially presents as painful swelling rather than atrophy of the temporal and/or masseter muscles. Atrophy develops later as scarring progresses. I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?