Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I think my Golden got over heated. Can I give him tylenol

Customer Question

I think my Golden got over heated. Can I give him tylenol ans how much. I'm putting cold rags on him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Dr. Nimmo is not currently available. Do you have a thermometer at home to take his rectal temperature?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
It is not safe to give tylenol in this situation. It can cause liver and kidney damage, especially if the liver or kidneys are already compromised due to the increased temperature. If he is over heated due to being in a heated environment, it is not a fever and having an anti inflammatory medication or fever reducer will not help. The most important things to do are to have a fan on the dog, use rubbing alcohol on the feet pads and to use cool clothes (not ice cold). Ice will change the temperature too drastically.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Heat stroke can be fatal though so if you dog is not responding well to you, you need to see a vet as soon as possible.