Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got home from work and my cairn terrior is panting really…

Customer Question
I just got home from...
I just got home from work and my cairn terrior is panting really bad and can not stand up. She is young and really active I am scared.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Is she sore anywhere else?
When you say she cannot stand, do you means she cannot even move her back legs?
Or does she just flop down if you lift her?
Any access to toxins?
She seems to have panting spells . I turned the fan on and she is not breathing as heavy at the moment. When she has a spell her rate is like 140. I am not sure how pink her gums normally are they seem pink but maybe a little light. It seems she can move her leg while laying but she has not stood since I've been home 30 min and this is unheard of for her
I put her in in my bed and just noticed she peed
She peed while she was laying here after panting real bad
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am extremely concerned to hear that her breathing rate is 140bpm. Normal resting rate for a dog is 20-30bpm. So, while its good that her gums are pink, I would be concerned to whether we may have respiratory distress on our hands if they are a bit lighter and she is having to breathe like this.
Otherwise, we would be wary that this increased respiration could be due to severe pain. And if she won't rise, then we'd be worried about belly pain (ie pancreatitis, ingestion of toxins, or something sharp) or possible spinal or limb injury. If she can move her legs voluntarily, then paralysis can be ruled out; but with all her signs we'd still be concerned that there may be a serious painful issue making her unable or unwilling to rise.
Now since this is so out of character and because that respiratory rate is much too high, I have to say this is a situation where we don't want to just monitor or try to home treat her here. It would really be best to consider having her checked at this stage by your local (or ER vet). They can assess if we do have any painful issues afoot and determine if there is any respiratory compromise (which can be related to lung, heart, and circulatory issues). Depending on their findings, she just may need pain relief, but if something is suspect in her GI, then xrays may be indicate. Or if this is a lung based issue, then we may need them to at least put her on oxygen to ease her breathing and get her more comfortable in this distressing state.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/
Please take care,
Dr. B.
She peed the bed. And she would never do that normally. Her breathing is better now though
Hi again,
I appreciate that she wouldn't, but distressed or collapsed animals often will and then lay in it. This is because the issues affecting them are much more serious then their passing urine.
I am glad to hear she is breathing better, but what is that current rate now? Is it down to 20-30 breaths in a minute?
Can she stand now?
No she hasn't stood yet . and when I moved her to put a towel under her she groaned a little as if it was back pain
In that case, I feel that the original issue is still here. So, unless she was settling back to a normal rate and become mobile post urination, then I do still think it is best to have her seen. Because if she is in enough pain that she doesn't want to get up and wet herself, then she really at the very least needs strong injectable pain relief from her vet as soon as possible.
Dr. B.
She seems to be calming down but still in pain or having bad stomach discomfort. When I tried to move her it seems she plops down . laying on her side she moved her leg. Is she ate something poisonous is there anything I can give her?
Without knowing what she had, we will be limited in what we can give. The only thing that could help and would not harm would be activated charcoal from your local pharmacy. This could be given at a dose of 1-4 grams per pound of her weight. It will bind most toxins if given early on and can reduce gas as well.
Take care
Dr. B
Hi Robert,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tootsie. How is everything going?

nekovet