Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog was bit by my friend's dog. She has a laceration in

Customer Question

My dog was bit by my friend's dog. She has a laceration in her shoulder/neck area
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The laceration is about 1/2 inch long and it looks like it only pierced the skin
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!Few questions for you:1. When did this happen?2. Did you already seek medical attention for her?3. How is she acting now?4. What kind of a dog bit her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. A few hours ago
2. She has not been to the vet, I just noticed the wound an hour or so ago
3. She is behaving normal
4. Not sure which kind of dog but it lives in my friends house with his other 2 dogs and a goat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Got it, thanks!The problem with dog bites is that they almost always look better than they actually are. If you can imagine a dog's tooth going into the skin/flesh of another dog in slow motion and then the offending dog shaking his/her head (as they almost always do after a bite, at least a little), the tooth makes a relatively small hole/laceration in the skin but much more damage underneath as it shreds the muscle and other deeper tissue. This is especially true if the dog that bit yours was significantly bigger. So... evaluation of a wound by a veterinarian is always a good idea to make sure there is no deeper injury that is more significant than the external wound.The shoulder/neck area is fairly heavily muscled and other than blood vessels there are no major organs to be injured in that immediate area. I would clean the area gently with a clean cloth and water then apply an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, twice daily for about 5 days or so. Keep an eye for swelling, bleeding, or any changes in behavior such as lethargy and loss of appetite. Most complication happen within the first few days so if everything is well then, you're probably safe. I want to emphasize again, though, that it's important to have this checked out first and if there is no deeper damage, you could still take the conservative route suggested above.Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, just following up to see how things are going and if you had any other questions come up....