Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 week old puppy just got stung by a honey bee, in the…

Customer Question
My 12 week old puppy...
My 12 week old puppy just got stung by a honey bee, in the mouth. His upper lip is swollen and his eyes are almost swollen shut.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about poor Bear's swollen upper lip and eyes secondary to a bee sting.The most common cause of sudden swelling is an allergic reaction to the sting.Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.Is his breathing and activity level normal?Any vomiting or diarrhea?Any difficulty breathing? You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur. Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make him a little sleepy. You can also apply a cool compress to the worst areas and/or give him a cool water bath with an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe his skin. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation and oatmeal reduces inflammation. Lather gently, let it sit for several minutes and then rinse with cool water.And then you'll need to watch him closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.The swelling/redness should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours. In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone. Because you know now that he has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.If you notice progression of his symptoms don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis. If you'd like you can have a veterinarian check him now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if he seems to be doing well and breathing easily then I would just call them and let them know so it is on his record for future reference. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian