Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a swollen sore (what looks like a boil) on her from

Customer Question
leg. It's not painful to...
My dog has a swollen sore (what looks like a boil) on her from leg. It's not painful to her, but she's licking it raw so I know its bothering her. What do you think it is?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has it been present?
Is it hard, hot, fluidy, or firm?
Does is appear attached to the skin, growing from the skin, or attached deeper?
Can it be moved around or is it non-mobile?
It's been growing about 6 months but really noticeable within the last few weeks. It's about the size of a quarter in diameter, about an inch high. It's firm to the touch. It seems to be growing from the skin and its not really mobile.
Thank you,
Now dogs do not really get boils like people do. Instead, if we have a mass that has been present for 6 months (so abscesses, blood blisters, soft tissue swellings, or insect induced allergic reactions are all less likely here) and is growing, we do have some serious concerns here. Specifically, we would have to consider that this could be a cyst, fatty lump (lipoma), a benign growth or a nasty cancer. And I have to note that even though the mass isn't causing her pain, its growth is stretching her skin and this is causing her to lick and risk ulcerating the mass (which could lead to infection).
Therefore, in this situation, the best way to approach an abnormal mass like this is to have your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If fatty material is removed, then its just a lipoma and one needs removing if it is splitting the skin. If clear fluid is removed, then a cyst would be likely. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.
Overall, if this mass is growing and causing her to lick, we would consider those aforementioned concerns. Therefore, if she is due a booster soon, then do consider moving that appointment up so that you can have your vet sample this mass to identify its cause and help you treat this effectively to address it for your wee one.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian