Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 lb poodle was groomed 4 days ago and has been licking,

Customer Question
scratching, swelling up, not eating...
My 13 lb poodle was groomed 4 days ago and has been licking, scratching, swelling up, not eating, not drinking and seems to have a problem urinating. His scrotum is all swollen and red
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. These dogs have either been razor burned or are reacting badly to a shampoo or conditioner. They're treated both systemically with an antiinflammatory corticosteroid such as prednisone and topically with ointments containing a corticosteroid, antibiotic, and antifungal drug such as Panalog. An Elizabethan collar is placed in order to prevent self mutilation. If his vet sees that the skin is also infected, a systemic antibiotic such as cephalexin will be prescribed as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian