Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 8 y.o female Rotweiler. A few weeks ago night before I left she…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 8...
Hi. I have a 8 y.o female Rotweiler. A few weeks ago night before I left for vacation she had a stomach ache and went off feed. She ate a little the morning I left but the next day my neighbor gave her a 1/2 pound of prime rib. And she had a big poop. Last couple of days I noticed she wasn't eating like she should. I bought a high protein dry food but she didn't eat. Yesterday I bought some can food. She ate it all. Today her stomach is tight and her breathing is mildly labored. Could I give her a 1/4 cup of coke in hopes to get some gas to help?
2 nights ago she had diareha, two small piles and my wife said her pop later that day was really hard. She drinks a lot of water and pees a lot.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Is she spayed?
No. And just ended ovulation about a week ago.
Okay. The most likely cause of these symptoms is called pyometra, and it is an infected uterus. This can happen in older dogs after a heat cycle. It causes a larger, tense abdomen, not eating, sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. See your vet first thing tomorrow morning... if this is what is going on, she will need surgery tomorrow. Spaying her is the only way to fix it, and it will need to be done ASAP. Dogs can die from this. If you have the finances for it and there is an ER vet nearby, I would take her tonight and tell them that you suspect a possible pyometra. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Hi, she doesn't have any discharge from the vulva and my wife said she cleaned blood from the floor yesterday, suspecting she may still be ovulating. I left my number to speak. Thank you.
I am not available for a phone call at this time. Pyometra is still high on the list of possibilities... they can have bloody discharge or no discharge at all with pyometra. The other possibilities include pancreatitis from the prime rib, or gastroenteritis from the same. Feed a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice and give a tablespoon of plain yogurt twice daily, and give Prilosec 20mg once daily. If these symptoms continue, or if she starts getting more lethargic, I would see a vet for a pancreatitis test and to check for pyometra.