Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is seven weeks old and she is throwing up and she's…

Customer Question
My puppy is seven weeks...
My puppy is seven weeks old and she is throwing up and she's crying . What could it be , she hasn't got into anything
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one isn't feeling well, vomiting and crying. Puppies tend to vocalize from pain and fear and her severe nausea is likely scary and uncomfortable for her.She is likely dehydrated because she is vomiting, but if even water is making her vomit you need to take it away from her for now. In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors. More serious causes of vomiting in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished her vaccine series, a viral infection such as parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.Because she is so young, if this has been going on all day, and she is lethargic ideally she would see a veterinarian now. Young puppies dehydrate easily and she needs fluids. They can give her injectable medication to stop or at least slow her nausea and vomiting. If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if she isn't responding quickly she should see a veterinarian promptly.To try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If there is no vomiting for 6 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her. If she refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible. But if things go well and she does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular puppy food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet. If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if she refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian