Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Have a Norwich Terrier who during a walk int he heat had his

Customer Question

Have a Norwich Terrier who during a walk int he heat had his tongue turn blueimmediately to Vet-----put cold packs on him and taking oxygen,,,t,emp has falled 1 degree to 106
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your dog! I am a veterinarian; how can I help you? Is he at the vets, being treated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he is at the vet
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, I am not able to do phone calls for the website. I can communicate with you in this format, or I will opt out so another expert can help you. What are they telling you? How can I help?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Would you like me to opt out, in favor of another expert since I can't do a phone call?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he passed away..........they think it was a blood clot in the lung
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Oh, no! I am so sorry. That is a possible complication of heat stroke. Are they doing an autopsy to find out?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I will opt out, and maybe another expert can help you with a call.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont think so---my wife just left the vet....he has always had trouble breathing ---we only take him on short walks....
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if I can help in any way, apart from the phone call. My sincere condolences.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you -----were a bit in shock ---he always had a breathing issue......hard panting while walking but that was true of our last Norwich who lived 14 years....who died from respiratory problems
he wasn't walked hard and was lively on the walk stopping a few times to greet people and other dogs...and then my wife noticed his tongue had turned blue .......having trouble breathing brought him to the vet after carrying him home......
we re looking for answers ? Collapsed trachia ? what could have happened ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I can imagine you were in shock! My sincere condolences. How are you and your wife doing today?
How old was he?
Was it hot outside when he was walking? If his body temperature was 106 or 107, this could have been a heat stroke.
He may have had a blood clot, that caused his tongue to turn blue and to have difficulty breathing and panting. If he could not pant, he could not cool himself off and stress and a warm day could have caused the high temperature.
You mention he always had a breathing issue. For how long? He may have had PH, pulmonary hypertension, which would have made him breathe hard, and could have caused a blood clot in his lungs.
Please accept my sincere condolences, and let me know what other questions I can answer.