Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old -a-poo has a bulging right eye. Now I

Customer Question
My 11 year old cock-a-poo...
My 11 year old cock-a-poo has a bulging right eye. Now I notice a bump bellow the eye to the back of the head. I already took her to an opthamolgist for pets and we did about of 600.00 in testing the eye finding a potential mass behind the eye. They needed
to do a MRI but I could not afford the 2100.00 for the test. Not sure what to do next not being able to afford an MRI but I feel if we need to do more after that I'm not sure what it would cost to correct the problem if possible. She is not in any pain at
this time and still seems to have her vision. Any suggestions
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, thanks for the question. That is really swollen in the picture. I would also worry about a retro-bulbar mass, ie a tumor behind the eye. These can be very difficult to diagnose. Sometimes we'll see them when we do an ultrasound through the eye. You really do need a CT or MRI to pick them up more clearly. From there, the treatment is usually surgical to explore the area behind the eye and try to remove the abnormal tissue. Another cheaper option, is to surgically remove that eye and then see if the mass or abscess can be seen once the eye is out of the way. She loses her eye this way, but it's much less expensive and it prevents that pressure on the back of the eye. The surgery to save the eye and explore that region is very challenging, and would probably have to be done by a surgeon. The eye removal surgery is much less challenging/ costly and could be done by most general practice vets. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian